8/28/2008

On Bill C-484

Earlier in the week I called my MP's office (Dean Allison) for clarification regarding the apparent Conservative abandonment of Bill C-484.
This morning, someone called me back.
It was an interesting conversation, to say the least. Suffice it to say, the media has played this story into something it's not.
The Conservatives are not abandoning or distancing themselves from Bill C-484 or abortion. In fact, it is a mistake to view Nicholson's recently proposed alternative as such. The guy I spoke to over the phone suggested that the Conservatives do not think that Epp's bill will pass in the house, given the fact they only have a minority and the recent inappropriate focus on abortion by a small group of extremists who have totally misrepresented the bill. He said that both the Bloc and the NDP will be voting against the bill and most Liberals are likely to either do the same or simply not show up to vote. If that is the case, then it's hard to see how Epp's bill could pass.
Nicholson's bill is intended to provide the same protection to pregnant women, should Epp's bill not pass.
If Epp's bill does pass, and both I and the guy on the phone hope it does, then great.
My MP will be voting in support of Epp's bill.

As an aside, until I have seen Nicholson's bill I am not going to comment on what protection it does or does not provide to pregnant women and their unborn children. It's probably better for me to withhold judgment for now until I have more information.

5 comments:

Matt said...

I was under the impression that Epp's bill would be withdrawn from the legislative agenda, but after reading your post it seems you're saying that Epp's bill will remain where it is between second and third reading while this new one is introduced. IS that correct, Ruth?

Ruth said...

That is what I understood.
Epp's bill will not be withdrawn and the vote will proceed as scheduled.

gpconservative said...

I don't see Dean Allison's name to the undersigned.
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/aug/08082803.html

Looks like he's turtling like most of the Conservative and Liberal MP's who have supported the bill.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Epp had an op-ed in the Post yesterday, I think, saying that he won't be withdrawing the bill.

Good that your MP plans to vote for the bill, Ruth. Of course if there's an election, then it's back to the drawing board.

roblaw said...

I am pro-choice, however, I have noted with interest the "Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada" and their hysteria over BillC-484.

It appears their biggest concern is that it would "criminalize pregnant women for behaviours perceived to harm their fetuses."

"Perceived"? Like fetal alcohol syndrome, for example, is some myth.

In my practice, I have had the unfortuante experience of seeing, first hand, what fetal alcohol syndrome does to children, and, in turn, what fetal alcohol children do to society when they grow up.

Pardon me, but even as a pro-choice conservative, the idea of criminalizing women who sentence their children to a lifetime of pain and disfunction doesn't concern me in least.

Listed on BlogsCanada Blogarama - The Blog Directory Powered by Blogger FeedBurner Blogging Tories
Southern Ontario Conservatives