Further to this morning's notice, I have decided to post my thoughts on changes to our tax system. I plan to send an email later on today.
1. End all forms of double and triple taxation. Property taxes and provincial sales tax should be deductible from federal tax. The gas tax should also be eliminated.
2. Children are the future of our society; support the family. Lower income tax paid by single income families, where one parent stays at home. Provide incentives for parents who remain at home to raise their children.
2a. Recognize the contribution of mothers to society. Women who opted out of careers in order to raise their families should receive a pension equal to a percentage of their spouses income.
3. Education is important. Eliminate the GST on school supplies.
4. Eliminate all forms of "sin tax." If a government is not willing to outlaw a particular behaviour that it deems to be potentially harmful, then it has no right to make money from it.
5. Assist the elderly. Eliminate income tax for those who are retired war veterans, are on CPP or have a foreign pension.