1/12/2006

Jack Layton: Defender of Public Health Care?

I can't believe I'm reading this!!
PORT HARDY, B.C. (CP) - NDP Leader Jack Layton, who's campaigning as the defender of public health care, had surgery at a private clinic in the 1990s, The Canadian Press has learned.
Layton had hernia surgery at the Shouldice Hospital, a private facility in the Toronto suburb of Thornhill, while he was serving as a Toronto city councillor.

Excuse me while I laugh out loud at the irony! I mean, you can't make this stuff up!! It's the stuff of Shakespeare, I tell you!
Best of all is his excuse.
"It's just part of the system," Layton said in an interview. "The doctor says, "Go there." You pay with your (Ontario health) card. It never occurred to me (it was) anything other than medicare, which it is."
You go to a private clinic and pay with your Ontario Health Card? Is this not a part of the model proposed by the Conservatives? I thought it was...
I'll tell you one thing. Tommy Douglas just rolled over in his grave.

1 comment:

Kateland, aka TZH said...

Its hard to believe that Layton thought the Shouldice was not a private clinic but perhaps he thought the putting green, tennis courts, waterfalls and highly scupltured gardens, sit-down dining room with wait staff, china plates, baby grand piano, shuffle board, tennis courts, and resort style rooms were found in all Ontario hospitals. While it is true that the Shouldice is a not-for-profit private clinic to all Canadians, a significant portion of their patients are international. There are no restricts on the costs charged for international patients. Your OHIP card is not enough to pay the bill either - I should know my child just had an operation there three months ago - though lucky for me, I have private insurance as well.

Listed on BlogsCanada Blogarama - The Blog Directory Powered by Blogger FeedBurner Blogging Tories
Southern Ontario Conservatives