11/16/2005

The "Monstrous" Regiment of Women

Every now and then, I come across blogs that make me want to spit with rage. Several weeks ago I found just such a blog. In the interests of politeness, I will not post the link to it. When I initially found it, the blog was discussing music and the evils of beat. The discussion lacked any Scriptural basis and the arguments were poor, but the author touted herself as a devout Christian with the morally upright point of view on the subject. Anything else could not be accepted.
Beat is evil.
End of story.
Whatever.

Today, against my better judgment, I revisited this blog. Two posts caught my eye. One was entitled "Training Our Daughters," and as I have one, I thought it might be interesting. I could not have been more wrong.
The other was entitled "The Monstrous Regiment of Women." It is the title of a movie that is to be released in the US. I am not sure if the author was aware that it also happens to be the title of an essay/sermon by John Knox. (He decries the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, without a doubt the best thing that ever happened to Britain.)

In the first post, the discussion immediately began with the idea that we should teach our daughters that ladies wear dresses, tell her she's a princess and so forth. I don't think I could disagree with this point of view more if I tried. Such an approach to the raising of a girl can only make her spoiled. The focus is entirely on her outward being. If one wishes to argue from Scripture, as the blogger in question claims she does, then we must look at 1 Peter 3.
3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.
4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful.


And now for the Monstrous Regiment of Women.
Where can I begin? There is nothing I can say about this discussion that is positive. The author of the blog actually said that she felt women should not vote. If they chose to vote, then they must vote according to their husband. While I can see how someone might be inclined to argue the second, there is no conceivable argument that could logically back up the first. To suggest that voting makes you a feminist (although, feminists did bring us the right to vote) is utter nonsense. What's more, not voting is an abdication of your civil responsibilities and you ought to be ashamed if you are such a lazy one!!!
The discussion went on to say that women should not be equal to men under the law or in marriage. Again, this is Scripturally unfounded garbage. The Biblical idea of submission in no way states that a woman is legally or spiritually less than her husband. They are equals. They simply have different roles. It is also important to note that the Scriptural idea of submission does not extend to any and every male-female relationship. To suggest that a woman must submit to any old man is wrong.
Women in the military was also discussed. Quite frankly, I don't see how one can avoid it when this topic comes up. Inevitably, there will be those who say that women should not be in the armed forces. I grew up with this belief, so I am quite familiar with the thinking behind it. Again, although common, it is a Scripturally unfounded belief. I promise, there is no verse in the Bible that says "A woman shall not be a soldier." It is your opinion only, and you are entitled to it. You may not espouse it as being Biblically based.

I am sorely tempted to email this woman and ask her why she even has a blog. If all independently thinking women are sinful feminists, shouldn't she be in her kitchen instead of writing her thoughts online?

3 comments:

Shane said...

Maybe her husband ghostwrites it since she is so serious about submission...

As the fellow who introduced you to that blog, I apologize. Obviously she is off her tree.

Ruth said...

Lol! Indeed. I kept trying to steer the "beat is evil" discussion towards sanity, but to no avail.
I take it she never got back to you on stay at home dads?

Christian Conservative said...

I'm very familiar with such teaching, and you're right, these views don't reflect true Biblical values.

Listed on BlogsCanada Blogarama - The Blog Directory Powered by Blogger FeedBurner Blogging Tories
Southern Ontario Conservatives